Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Summer of Dolls: WOOL 'N' STUFF



With my mom beginning to follow her dream of making dolls, I am devoting this summer to dolls, doll makers, and handmade plush toys around the globe.
Today's featured artist is Gina from Wool 'n 'Stuff


Gina: A little about myself.....hmmm. When I was a little girl, I used to stay at my grandma's on Saturday night and she taught me how to crochet granny squares. She also attempted to teach me to knit, but to no avail. It wasn't until I was married that I really took an interest in crocheting and took it up again for a while, but with small children to look after I didn't really get to do an awful lot.


(Gina con't) At the same time, a friend of the family gave me her sewing machine. Never having sewn before, I took some lessons and absolutely loved it. I used to make the kids clothes and my daughters dance and ice skating costumes and things just grew from there. I gave up smoking a few years ago and was looking for something to do with my hands while I was watching tv, and so I took up crocheting again. My collection of soft toys was taking over the house, so I began going to local markets etc. This year I decided to diversify and start producing fabric toys. They have proven to be very popular and I just love making them. They all have their own personalities and it's amazing to see them evolve from a plain old piece of fabric. I like to use good quality fabrics and poly fiber stuffing for all my toys because I know from first-hand experience how much wear a much-loved toy is put through by toddlers!


I found that I loved creating things out of nothing. A boring ball of wool would became a teddy, a square of fabric would became a giraffe!!! And the smiles on the faces of the children (and quite often the adults) who received these toys was an amazing reward.  I truly love making these toys but even more than that, I love seeing the joy they bring to others.


 My only problem now is that I don't have enough hours in the day. I work 5 days a week and often get up and sew before I drop the kids at school and head off to work. It's a passion for me and I get a huge amount of joy from making all my toys.


Just out of interest, I'm still using the same sewing machine that was given to me all those years ago and it's still going strong!!! Must be an antique by now!!

Thank you SEW much Gina for sharing your beautiful work with us.  Keep it up!

 This Asian doll is my personal favorite, and at only about $30 plus international shipping, she's a great deal.  Maybe I will buy one for my Japanese pen pal's new baby.  Just a thought.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness these are SO darling. We should talk about advertising! I'd love to have you on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete